Thursday, July 14, 2011

Technology

I'm a slacker.  Somehow, throughout my life, I have managed to make great grades with last minute work.  I am a procrastinator.  This is no secret to my friends and family, but my teachers would laugh in your face if you told them that not-secret-secret.  I had not done much of anything on my quilt until the day before yesterday, when I finished cutting out trapezoids with the last of my fabric.  I'm still missing a few, but I have 260 of 274.  So I think I'm doing okay.  I was starting to get worried, though, because I knew I would need my sewing machine soon, and I had NO CLUE how to work it.

I made a dress for my English 114 class and every time I used the sewing machine, the bobbin would jam and I was scared that I would break the needle if I kept on the way I was going, so I stopped using it and started sewing by hand.  I have always sewn by hand.  I'm the queen of ripped seams and missing buttons.  I can fix those kinds of things faster than you can say "Hogwarts" and ta-da, they look like new again!  Sewing fabric together from nothing into something is a different story.  Lucky for me, I have a best friend who is a crafting wizard.  She's my savior.

Ashley was staying at my house while my Grandmother went to Savannah with my aunt for her birthday.  While here, I was cutting the rest of my trapeziods and complaining about technology and how it sucks.
This is normal for me.  
It's no secret I constantly complain about technology
and how it keeps us apart though
it's supposed to make us
closer.
Finally I got around to my sewing machine.  "The bobbin jams every time I use it and I just don't get WHY?!?!" Ashley looked up at me from the floor and said "Want me to take a look?"

Indeed I did.  And I'll be damned but she fixed it.  Kindly and patiently she walked me through what was wrong with my settings and the bobbin, explaining how they should be versus how they were.  After that, it was a piece of cake.  I am currently working on keeping my seams straight.  Lucky for me I have a lot of extra fabric so I can practice!  

1 comment: